Representing Children of Undocumented Immigrants at Risk
Friday, April 21st @ 12:00 noon
Middlesex County Family Court, 120 New Street, 3rd Floor Training Room, New Brunswick
Online RSVP | RSVP Form | Email
Charles D. Whelan, III, Esq.
|Kevin Hoagland, Esq.|
|Janice Chapin, Esq.|
Central Jersey Legal Services Corp.
|Charles Hager, Esq.|
Family Law Division Manager
Middlesex County Family Court
This is in part a call to the local bar to volunteer to help families in crisis. Recent changes in US immigration policy have greatly increased risks for American-born children of undocumented immigrants whose parents may be deported. Many such children wish to remain in the US in the care of a legal resident or US citizen. In this workshop, participants will learn the basics of applying for child custody in the Family Division, and for guardianship of a minor through the Surrogates Office and the Chancery Division.
- Applying for child custody in the Family Division, including how to prepare and file verified complaints and Orders to Show Cause
- The Surrogate’s role in applications for minor guardianships through the Surrogates Office and the Chancery Division and how to prepare required documents
- The importance of obtaining renunciations from the child’s parents
- Waiver of filing fees for actions filed through Central Jersey Legal Services Inc.
- Common issues arising in custody and guardianship proceedings
- Choosing between actions for custody and guardianship
- Use of powers of attorney to provide temporary custody
- Volunteering through Central Jersey Legal Services Inc. for support, advice and limiting attorney liability
- Sample forms for child custody and minor guardianship actions
Participants who volunteer to take at least one pro bono case for custody or guardianship of an American born child of an undocumented immigrant through Central Jersey Legal Services Inc. will receive a voucher for a free CLE program from the MCBA.
This program has been approved by the BCLE of the Supreme Court of NJ for 1.5 hours of total CLE credit. (Please note that Approved CLE Courses in NJ are Recognized for CLE Credit in NY.)
To RSVP: Online RSVP | RSVP Form | Email | Call 732.828.3433, x. 102